So no doubt you all have heard about One Million Moms and their ‘issue’ with Dancing With The Stars. Actually the real thing that has them up in arms is the audacity that Carson Kressley and Chaz Bono are on the show. OH NOES INTERNET! This is such a travesty! Kinda like when Gulf Coast got hit with Katrina. Oh and how about that oil spill? Earthquakes? Hurricanes? No none of that is as important as Dancing With The Stars……a show that has outlived it’s run and for the life of me I still don’t know why it is on. Not because they have gay people and transgendered people on the show but because IT’S THE SAME SHOW OVER AND OVER AGAIN!
Back when I had cable I watched the show. Before I got rid of the cable, I stopped watching the show. I didn’t start an internet campaign to get the ridiculous drivel off, I simply turned the channel to something else. It’s easy really. I don’t like Pat Robertson either, so I don’t watch his shows or anything with him on it. Not a big fan of Glenn Beck either. Guess what? I don’t watch him either.
So now for you crazy fools who seem to think that your shows should cater to you and no one else here is a list of things you could do. But the first step is to turn off the tv. I know, Jesus will be so upset with you for turning off the TV but I promise you he won’t be upset for long.
1. Read the Bible. I know a pagan woman making the suggestion might get your panties in a wad but I felt it was more appropriate then suggesting you read The Egyptian Book Of The Dead. Seriously, during that show you could spend some time reading your Bible and strengthening your connection with your God.
2. Play a game with your children. Crazy, right? Yep! But your kids will like it. Who knows, you might enjoy it too.
3. Take a walk around your neighborhood. Instead of sitting on the couch watching a show, get your legs moving! It’s good for the body and the body is a gift from God so why not take care of it?
4. Knit a hat, scarf, or pair of mittens. Okay so you won’t get that done in an hour. BUT. You will have a nice piece of handmade work that you could give as a Christmas gift (which would totally kill the consumerism take over of your religious holiday!) in about a week.
5. Can some jellies or jams. I am telling you there is nothing nicer than having homemade jam on toast in the morning. You could cook it in the crock pot all day, then during Dancing With The Stars you could can it. Then when you have a power outage, dire need of a quick gift for a neighbor, or a craving for some blueberry jam it’s right there in your pantry.
6. Talk to your children about the reality that there are gay/transgendered people in the world. Don’t be hateful about it (aka “If you are gay or transgendered God will HATE YOU!), just let them know people do exist that are different from them. If you don’t understand the topic (and clearly One Million Moms doesn’t), ask a local LGBT group to help. Of course keep the conversation age appropriate. The bottom line is, your kids won’t stay home forever and eventually will meet a gay person or a transgendered person. No need for them to begin crying with fear because you never educated (not indoctrinated!) them.
There you go. Six suggestions to help you avoid the travesty of gay/transgendered people on your TV screen. Do any of my lovely readers have suggestions for the One Million Moms?